MaxiCode Barcode ModesMaxiCode has several operating modes. These operating modes are discussed below.
Mode 2This operating mode is for US carriers. It consists of a maximum of 9 digits of postal codes. It also allows for the storage of up to 93 characters.
Mode 3This operating mode is for the international carrier. It is composed of postal codes that are alphanumeric in nature. Just like mode 2, mode 3 allows for storage of up to 93 characters.
Mode 4The operating mode 4 is the standard symbol, which allows for the storage of general forms of information. It allows for the storage of up to 90 characters.
Mode 5The mode 5 operating system stores secure symbols. It allows for the storage of general information. However, it allows for a greater level of error correction. It allows for the storage of 74 characters.
Other Information About MaxiCodeThere are three other pieces of information about MaxiCode that are considered. These are the MaxiCode font, tolerance, and symbol size. The MaxiCode barcode has a minimum and maximum width of 26.48mm and 29.79mm, respectively. It has a minimum and maximum height of 25.32mm and 28.49mm, respectively. Also, it has a minimum and a maximum bullseye of 07.35mm and 08.16mm, respectively. For each of these parameters, a tolerance of 5% is allowed. This tolerance accounts for the difference in printing size.
Compression and Data Limitations of MaxiCode Barcode EncodingThe first two modes (2 and 3) of the MaxiCode barcode take up most of the capacity of the barcode. There are cases in which long addresses cannot be stored within such modes of MaxiCode barcodes. To allow for data compression, some recommendations can be made, which are stated below.
- Store stat using uppercase letters. This strategy decreases switching modes for the MaxiCode barcode and ultimately reduces internal data consumption.
- Operating mode 2 can be used to eliminate the inclusion of address information, which can be found on the tracking number.
- The abbreviation of addresses can be used to reduce the number of characters. Therefore, E can be used in place of EAST as an example.
- The UPS DLL can be used to compress all fields including the address.
Other useful articles:
- What is a BarCode?
- Where to Use BarCodes?
- 1D and 2D barcodes
- BarCode Generator SDK
- BarCode Reader SDK
- QR Code BarCodes
- Code 39
- Code 128
- Data Matrix
- EAN BarCode
- UPC Barcodes Explained
- All About PDF417 BarCodes
- How BarCodes Are Used in POS
- Barcode vs QR Code
- What are Standard Barcode Formats
- GTIN Barcodes - What It Is, Main Types
- What Can You Read on a Barcode
- SKU vs Barcode
- Are Barcodes Store Specific?
- ITF Barcodes Explained
- 10 Steps to Barcode Your Product
- How Do Barcodes Work in Australia
- HanXinCode Explained
- MaxiCode Explained